History & Structure
The Joint Economic Development Organization (JEDO) was established by an interlocal agreement between Shawnee County and the City of Topeka, Kansas, in 2001. The JEDO Board is comprised of 13 members. Voting members include the three Shawnee County Commissioners, City of Topeka Mayor and Deputy Mayor and two City Council members. Nonvoting members are the remaining six Council members. JEDO is funded through the half cent county wide retailers sales tax established by the inter-local agreement and is to be used for economic development.
The City and County rotate the position of JEDO Chairperson with the Mayor serving in odd-numbered years pursuant to City of Topeka Resolution No. 7623 and the Chairperson of the County Commission serving in even-numbered years commencing on January 1 of the respective year. The City and the County also rotate the administrative duties with the City providing those services in odd-numbered years and the County doing so in even-numbered years.
JEDO Board meetings are open to the public and televised, except for executive sessions pursuant to state law. The Board meets at least quarterly each calendar year. The JEDO Board meets on the 2nd Wednesday of February, May, September, and December. Agendas are distributed at least five business days prior to each meeting and posted on this website.
Public comment is allowed on each actionable agenda item and at the end of each meeting. Citizens are given four minutes to speak and comments must relate to topics directly relevant to JEDO business.
JEDO Board Members
Shawnee County Commissioners
- * Bill Riphahn, District No. 1
- * Kevin Cook, District No. 2
- * Aaron Mays, District No. 3
City of Topeka Governing Body
- * Michael Padilla, Mayor
- * Spencer Duncan, Deputy Mayor/District No. 8
- Karen Hiller, District No. 1
- Christina Valdivia-Alcala, District No. 2
- Sylvia Ortiz, District No. 3
- Tony Emerson, District No. 4
- Brett Kell, District No. 5
- * Hannah Naeger, District No. 6
- * Neil Dobler, District No. 7
- Mike Lesser, District No. 9
* Denotes that this is a voting member.